Friday, 24 February 2012





Around a year ago my 88 year old Aunt gave me her violin. She started leaning to play the violin and the piano as a child and went on to gain her AMusA.  Here she is  graduating.

Not having played for around 50 years, Nell (my Aunt) told me I could sell the violin or leave it under the bed; she did not mind. She was a very talented musician, but I, on the other hand, had never even learnt to read music. Rather than selling it or leaving it to collect dust,  I thought the least I could do was give violin lessons a try. Never too old to learn! So nearly one year on I'm still struggling with my F# and making some truly terrible sounds but I am enjoying the challenge. The best part is the delight  I have given Nell. I played a little piece for her recently - TwinkleTwinkle Little Star, she was very polite about my recital - that's all that I can say.

Moving onto Web 2.0 Refresher, I'm looking forward to discovering more about QR codes, iGoogle and all the other Things.


2 comments:

  1. What a lovely story. I am sure you sounded fantastic and she was very proud! I find your blog very beautiful. My father, sister and brother play the violin, my other brother the cello and my third brother the clarinet. I was the only one without a skerrick of talent so used to watch them play family gatherings. Always wanted to learn and instrument...just too lazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not being modest about my violin playing, it's pretty bad and you must have very musical genes so should take up an instrument (after the renovagtions)

    ReplyDelete